Most awaiting service “Mobile Number Portability” nation wide from tomorrow. Customers now can change their operator without changing mobile number. Honorable Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will launch mobile number portability all over India. We hope mobile operator now enhance quality of service such as call drop after launching of this service due to fear of customers run away. Some of operator now charge customers when they call on their customer care number however most of theÂ companiesÂ customers care numbers are toll free. TRAI have fixed charges Rs. 19 to be paid to new mobile operator along withÂ identityÂ proof and address proof documents.
How Mobile Number Portability Works
- Get 8 digit Unique Porting Code(UPC) by sending sms to service number 1900 in following format.
PORT <10 digit mobile number>
- Get an new application form from new mobile operator retail shop. You will also get new sim card with form. Enter UPC code and attach new photograph and submit it to new operator alongwith valid identity and address proof.
- New company will now send change request to old company. Once approved by old company you will get an sms from new company. Â You should not have any due till date otherwise old company may decline your request.
- Once new company get confirmation then you will be notifiedÂ by new operator either by call or sms. After that you can remove put sim in your mobile phone and start communication with new operator.
EligibilityÂ Criteria set by TRAI
- You should have completed a period of 90 days with your current operator.
- You should not have any outstanding balance due with your current Operator.
- You should not have pending request for change of ownership of the mobile number.
- Your mobile number should not be awaiting judicial determination in Court of Law or should n0t beÂ prohibited by a Court of Law.
Do you know?
- Your CDMA number can be switched on GSM network.
- Your post paid number can be switched to pre paid number and vice versa.
- Only mobile number can be shift. No MNP for land line numbers.
- Switching only allowedÂ within circle. Technically, this restrictionÂ possiblyÂ due to that number series assign by government to specific circle and operator and system in place to identify if porting allowed from one circle to another.
TRAI set maximum 7 days timelinesÂ to complete all MNP process so you should expect number change in within 7 days.